On Wednesday, after weeks of discussion and working on specific legislation, my colleagues and I in the House Democratic Caucus announced our legislative priorities for the 2007 session. The title of the agenda, A Plan for One North Carolina, was a theme that legislative leaders stressed throughout our press conference in calling on all legislators to improve the lives of the men, women, and children in all regions of North Carolina.
The House Democratic Caucus Agenda focuses on seven larger priorities for the 2007 session:
1. Strengthen people's confidence in a government that works for them.
2. Provide the opportunity of a lifetime - a quality education.
3. Create jobs that support strong, healthy, and more prosperous families.
4. Improve the health of our citizens - young and old.
5. Support out military families, bases, and communities.
6. Ensure safer and more prosperous communities.
Our legislative agenda detailed numerous issues under each of these seven categories, which will serve as the basis for legislation that will be debated and passed in the coming weeks and months, so stay tuned as we make progress on these important issues.