Friday, March 02, 2007

Budget Discussion Begins

Governor Easley unveiled his budget to the media last Thursday, and my colleagues and I got a lengthy briefing on his spending proposal on Tuesday from administration officials. I was especially pleased to see funding proposed for farmland preservation as well as for the emergency drinking water fund which I helped establish last session. Now that we have the governor's budget recommendations, the various House and Senate budget subcommittees have started discussions and debate on the numerous state programs and funding levels. I sit on the Subcommittee on Natural and Economic Resources and we will be hearing from the various departments defending their budget requests next week.

Over the next several months, the House and Senate will pass their own budget proposals, in hopes of reaching a compromise and passing a final budget before the start of the new fiscal year on July 1.

No comments: