Thursday, November 30, 2006

Greetings From Raleigh 11-30-06

Following the November 7 election, my attention was quickly claimed again by work and responsibilities related to my current term. Interim committees have regained momentum as we work to wrap up the study mandates legislated during the 2006 session. I am sitting on the following study commissions: the Environmental Review Commission; the House Select Committee on Capital Punishment, the House Select Committee on Complementary and Alternative Medicine; the Legislative Committee on Global Climate Change, and the Joint Legislative Commission on Land and Water Conservation. I have also been working with Representatives Alma Adams, Maggie Jeffus, and Laura Wiley on the Eastern Guilford High School situation, in addition to other local issues including proposed new rules impacting parents who serve as guardians of their disabled adult children.

I’m very proud of the progress we made during the short time we were in Raleigh this past summer on education, health care, the economy, our environment, and reducing crime. Several of the new laws that we approved will go into effect tomorrow, December 1st.

The Legislature will reconvene on Wednesday, January 24, 2007 at noon. I will be hosting a reception in the space adjacent to my office that day prior to the swearing in ceremony.

No comments: